Isotretinoin (Accutane) is one of the greatest medical inventions arise in the skincare field in the last 50 years. For millions of people who have acne, proper administering of Accutane can be, simply…life changing.
Most cases of acne are mild and can be controlled with effective over-the-counter topical products. However, approximately 20% of people who struggle with acne who will ultimately need oral medication in order for their acne to subside. For many of these people, Accutane will be the best—or in some cases, only—solution for an effective treatment. Compared to other common medications, Accutane has the ability to actually cure acne by normalizing the sebaceous glands — typically eliminating acne forever.
People with moderate or severe inflammatory acne who do not improve with topical products or oral antibiotics should consider taking Isotretinoin (Accutane). Note: Accutane is sometimes referred to by other names too, including, Absorica, Accutane, Amnesteem, Claravis, Myorisan, Sotret or Zenatane.
Here are five things to know about Accutane — and it’s advantages.
1. Isotretinoin (Accutane) is a prescription oral drug that is usually taken for at least 20 weeks.
2. It reduces the size of the oil glands, so less oil is produced. As a result, the growth of bacteria slows down, there is less inflammation and acne activity is stopped. Yep, you read that right — stopped.
3. Isotretinoin (Accutane) is the only acne treatment that has long-term beneficial effects on the skin.
4. Statistics show that 70% of people treated with isotretinoin will have clear skin for life. The other 30% may have some acne again, but usually less severe than before. If a low dose of isotretinoin (Accutane) is taken for longer treatment of time, it can provide a real long-term “cure” for people with acne with minimal discomfort.
5. The combination of Accutane with blue light acne phototherapy has been shown to be synergistic and to decrease the risk of acne flare-ups during Accutane treatment.
If you think Accutane might be a good solution for you, consult with your doctor.